Applying for Disability Benefits

for Original ECO Plan Members
Solicitud de Beneficios por Incapacidad

Applying for Disability Benefits

It is your responsibility to apply for IMRF disability benefits when it is determined that you will be disabled for more than 30 consecutive days. Disability payments cannot be paid retroactively for more than six months from the date you file the application. You may lose one or more monthly benefits payments if you do not apply promptly for IMRF disability benefits.

An application should not be filed in anticipation of disability, if you are still able to work. You can obtain an "Member's Application for Disability Benefits" from your employer's IMRF Authorized Agent, download it from the IMRF website, or apply for disability benefits through Member Access. You can download the IMRF Member Disability Checklist to guide you through the disability application process.

You may apply for IMRF disability benefits if you meet the service credit requirements. However, before IMRF can pay you a disability benefit upon an approved claim, you will have to cease earning income through your elected office. Because elected officials are paid as long as they hold office, you would need to resign to collect IMRF disability benefits, and send IMRF a copy of your resignation letter along with a copy of the minutes from the meeting at which your Board (governing body) accepted your resignation.

If you wish, you can remain in office and complete your term. If after completing your term of office you are still disabled, you will remain eligible for disability benefits. You could begin receiving IMRF disability benefits at that time.

If you are paid on a per diem basis (paid based upon actual attendance at meetings), you do not need to resign the office to receive disability benefits, so long as you do not attend any meetings and, therefore, do not receive any compensation.

Forms and Documents IMRF Will Need

We require several forms and documents to process your claim. 

Incomplete and missing forms may delay a decision on your disability claim. Please provide as much medical information as possible when you submit the forms.

If you are unable to complete the form, a relative or other representative can complete it on your behalf. The relative or representative should call a Member Services Representative at 1-800-ASK-IMRF (1-800-275-4673).